Appointment to Renew A Passport
For those adults or children who need to renew their passport quickly, HM Passport Office offers a fast-track one week or one day appointment service for the following types of passport renewal, this article will take you through the steps for how to book and attend an appointment at one of the UK's 7 Passport Offices.
• Renewal of a passport for an adult
• Renewal of a passport for a child (counter-signatory required)
• Replacement of a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed passport (counter-signatory required) - Fast-Track One Week Only
• Replacement of an expired passport
• Change of name on a passport - Fast-Track One Week Only
• Change of gender on a passport - Fast-Track One Week Only
The two services on offer allow individuals to book an appointment at one of the UK's passport offices and receive their renewed passport within one week or can also be done within one day, please note however only the following passport renewal types can attend the one day premium service:
• Renewal of an Adult Passport (Aged 16 or over)
(!) Only straight-forward renewals for adults, no changes, damage or loss - How to know if your passport is damaged beyond reasonable wear and tear?
(!) Please note than when changing your name or gender your passport will still automatically be renewed for a first 10 years from the date of the application/appointment.
Who Can Use the Appointment Service?
The fast-track appointment service is available for anyone who needs to renew their passport urgently. This includes those travelling for business, those with medical emergencies, or those who have lost or had their passport stolen.
You cannot use the appointment service for "First time adult passports, (individuals over the age of 15 that have never had a British passport before).
What Documents are Required When Attending?
When attending a fast-track appointment, you will need to bring:
• Your current or expired passport;
• Two identical photographs that meet the requirements for a UK passport;
• Birth certificate (if applying for a First Time Child Passport);
• Other supporting documents that may be required depending on your circumstances (e.g. marriage certificate,deed pool name change certificate etc).
How Quickly Can I Get Passport Renewal Appointment?
You can book a passport renewal appointment by phone and usually receive confirmation within 24 hours. The earliest available appointments are usually within two days, but this may vary depending on availability and demand. You can also book appointments up to three months in advance if you know when you will need your renewed passport.
To reduce the time it takes to get through to HM Passport Office by phone, it is important to listen carefully to the automated phone service and follow the instructions. Additionally, it is important to be aware of peak times when calling as this may increase wait times. To ensure a fast track service when renewing a passport, make sure you have all the relevant information ready before calling and consider booking an appointment online or by phone up to three months in advance if you know when you will need your renewed passport.
The best times to call HM Passport Office would be during off-peak hours, such as early in the morning or late at night. Generally, the busiest times are between 9am and 5pm on weekdays. It is also important to note that the phone lines may be busier during school holidays and other peak travel periods. If possible, it is recommended to avoid calling during these times as wait times may be longer.
Important Information For Passport Renewal Appointments:
1. You must attend your appointment in person
It is essential that you attend your fast track passport appointment at HM Passport Office in person. You cannot send a representative or proxy on your behalf. It is important to note that if you miss your passport appointment or fail to attend, you may be required to pay a fee and book another appointment.
2. You must arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment time.
It is important that you arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of your fast track passport appointment at HM Passport Office. This will allow sufficient time for you to check-in and complete any necessary paperwork prior to the start of your appointment. If you arrive late, it may result in the cancellation of your appointment and require you to book another one.
3. You must bring all the required documents with you.
When attending a fast track passport appointment at HM Passport Office, it is essential that you bring all the necessary documents with you when attending as follows:
- Completed and signed passport application form (counter-signature not required unless your passport is damaged, lost or has been stolen)
- Current passport (Unless lost or stolen)
- Two passport-sized photographs
- Counter signature (if lost, stolen or damaged) from a person who has known the applicant applying on the child's behalf for at least two years, is over 18 and holds a valid British passport.
- Completed and signed passport application form (counter-signature required)
- Current passport
- Two passport-sized photographs
- Evidence of parental responsibility (e.g. birth certificate or Adoption certificate if this is a first time child application)
- Counter signature from a person who has known the parent applying on the child's behalf for at least two years, is over 18 and holds a valid British passport.
4. You must pay the fee for the renewal when booking the appointment
When calling the passport office to book fast track passport appointment, it is important that you know that you will need to pay any applicable fees for processing and renewing your passport application when making the appointment, payment can be made by debit/credit card.
5. If you are applying for a child's passport, only the parent who has signed the passport form needs to attend
If applying for a child's passport at HM Passport Office during a fast track passport appointment, only the parent who filled in the details and signed the form needs to attend the appointment. Yes you can also bring the child to the appointment but it is not required, for more information see children and urgent passport appointments
(!) It is also important to note that when renewing a child passport via the appointment service you will also require a counter-signature on the form and new passport photos. The individual who counter-signs needs to confirm that they have known the parent who is attending for 2 years, however when signing the photos they need to write "I certify that this is a true likeness of "Child's Name"